Natural Sciences Equipment for Research and Teaching Policy
Before purchasing scientific equipment, please contact the following persons and offices for advice:
- Financial planning for purchases must be done in consultation with the Weissman Dean’s Office and your Department Chair. You may need to obtain multiple bids or a sole‐source vendor statement depending on the item’s cost.
- All technology purchases, regardless of the source of funds, require pre‐approval from the school’s technology coordinator or the College CIO. Faculty are to work with the school technology coordinator in developing IT specifications.
- Contact the BCTC Help Desk for any IT/Media services that are required.
- There may be issues with the electrical, plumbing, ventilation, humidity, weight, or physical changes to the room layout that should be investigated first. Please contact Tom Gaimaro, Director of Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction, at 646-660-6052.
The building’s infrastructure is old. The existing electrical power availability is at capacity without the future 17 Lex Phase 1a construction project. There is no emergency generator in the building, and air conditioning is mostly through the window units. Should any of your equipment require significant power, significant cooling, or uninterrupted service, please keep these factors in mind.
- Elevators, lab doors, and corridors may not easily accommodate large or heavy equipment. There may be additional issues with placement in the lab itself due to other obstacles. Please contact Tom Gaimaro, Director of Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction, at 646-660-6052.
- Arrange for “Door‐to‐Door” or “White Glove” delivery service when purchasing large or heavy equipment. This means equipment should be delivered directly to the lab, with uncrating and placement to the desired location. Baruch cannot move large or heavy equipment from the Receiving Office on the north campus to the Field Building/17 Lexington on the south campus. Please contact Frank Antonucci, Director of Campus Operations and Administration, at 646-660-6037 for delivery service questions.
- Avoid the high volume usage peaks of the building when scheduling deliveries. During the semester, it is best to schedule on Friday class schedules or early morning. Also, this needs to be coordinated with Public Safety to schedule delivery and access. Contact Public Safety at 646-660-6000.
- Address considerations such as specific furniture for the equipment, storage for related supplies, any required signage on or adjacent to the equipment, and emergency shut‐off requirements at the time of equipment selection. Please contact Tom Gaimaro, Director of Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction, at 646-660-6052.
- Any equipment involving chemicals, flammables, radiation, and other safety hazards may have restrictions. Please contact Jim Kaznosky, Director of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management, at 646-660-6048.
- If the new equipment is vibration-sensitive, then vibration attenuation equipment also needs to be purchased for the anticipated 17 Lex Phase 1a construction project.
- Identify the emergency contact person for the piece of equipment with Pubic Safety in case of flood, power outage, or other emergencies. Contact Public Safety 646-660-6000.
- Any labs involving live animals may have restrictions. Please contact Jim Kaznosky, Director of Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management, at 646-660-6048.