Furniture, Equipment, Paint and Other Finishes Policy
With the welfare of students, faculty, and staff as the driving force of Baruch’s Department of Campus Facilities, the purpose of this policy is to enhance efficiency, ensure ADA compliance, and improve the process of purchasing furniture, fixtures, and equipment at Baruch College.
Under the University’s Property Management and Procurement Policy and Procedures, non-approved furniture is not permitted on campus. Furniture from sources such as Staples, IKEA, Amazon furniture, or furniture from home is not allowed on campus. If these items are found on campus, they will be removed immediately and at the department’s direct expense.
The policies below outline furniture, finish, and equipment request policies. Please complete the Facilities Project Request Form to submit a project request.
Furniture, Finish, and Equipment Policies
The following policies apply to all furniture requests:
- With the welfare of students, faculty, and staff in mind, Campus Facilities has preselected various lines of furniture and furniture systems from which requesting departments may select. Campus Facilities utilizes the New York State Office of General Services Contract to purchase furniture (Group #20915). Only NYS OGS approved vendors will be contracted to supply and install campus furniture.
- All College departments are responsible for the costs of purchasing, installing, removing, recycling, and relinquishing furniture.
- Before placing any of the above requests, all faculty and staff must be approved by their Vice President, Department Chair, or Dean. Previously selected projects from these members will be given priority. New project requests will be reviewed based on the Fiscal Priority List.
- Campus Facilities review each request and recommend how to proceed. Factors that will be considered include schedule, functionality, availability, pricing, and sustainability. Campus Facilities may accept, put-on-hold, or reject projects based on scope, availability of funds, resources, and schedule.
- If the project is approved, a project number will be generated and a project timeline established. A team will be assigned to that project and a design scheme confirmed.
- Once all project items have been selected, a final quote package will be provided listing all purchasable items for that project. Based on the University Procurement Policy and Procedures, each department is responsible for submitting its own project’s quotes to Baruch’s Procurement Services Department. Please refer to Basic Purchasing Procedures for steps.
- Any questions related to purchasing orders should be directed to the department placing the request (requisitioner). All final purchase orders are issued back to the requisitioner and the Office of Campus Facilities for vendor delivery and coordination.
- Campus Facilities will coordinate with Buildings & Grounds and the Requisitioner for the delivery, install, related furniture moves, and any needed infrastructure.
- All equipment requests such as phones, computers, printers, etc., are to be coordinated by the requisitioner and processed by Baruch Computing and Technology Center.
- Campus Facilities will take responsibility for receiving and inspecting furniture during installation and delivery.
- The requisitioner should provide an 8-12 weeks lead time from the time the purchase order is approved and submitted to the vendor.
- As there is no furniture storage on campus, all displaced furniture is subject to relinquishment and donation when corresponding new furniture is purchased.
- If ADA or ergonomic accommodations are requested, please contact Andrea Caviness, Executive Director of Human Resources, at Andrea.email@example.com.
- Campus Facilities will not procure a chair request for special accommodations for issues such as back problems.
The following policies apply to all finish requests:
- The Paint Shop is responsible for all interior and exterior painting on campus.
- Personal painting is prohibited.
- Painted graphic walls and murals are not permitted. Temporary vinyl graphics are acceptable with the approval of Campus Facilities before installation.
- Priority is given to maintaining and repairing student and public spaces. A new hire does not constitute an automatic paint job, replacement of furnishings, and finishes.
- Pre-selected paint colors and carpeting have been selected for the campus. They will be implemented in all new projects as part of a five-year maintenance program. Only these approved finishes are to be used.
- Window treatments are available as required for any project.
The following policies apply to all equipment requests:
- Personal refrigerators, microwaves, toasters, heaters, or lamps are not allowed on campus. They pose a harmful risk to faculty, staff, and students if left unattended. Please contact Campus Facilities for departmental accommodations.
- Task lighting is acceptable under the approval and preparation of Campus Facilities. Please submit a Project Request Form for all lighting inquiries.
- Notify Campus Facilities before ordering lab equipment or materials requiring power and/or water connections. Other equipment requests, such as phones, computers, printers, etc., are to be coordinated by the requisitioner and processed by Baruch Computing and Technology Center.